Huntingdon Castle is a motte and bailey castle located in the historic market town of Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire. The Norman castle itself was began in 1068 by William the Conqueror, however, the site itself is likely to have been used by the Saxons prior to the Norman invasion as a defensible earthwork of some nature. There are records Edward the Elder building some sort of fortification in Huntingdon in 917.
The castle was probably mainly timber in construction though there has been some suggestions that the castle was in fact a shell keep built out of masonry, though there has been no evidence found to support this.
During the Great Anarchy, the castle was held by David, King of Scotland, who supported the Empress Matilda and it was greatly damaged at this time. After the Anarchy, the castle at Huntingdon passed to David’s on him paying homage to King Stephen.
Huntingdon Castle was ordered to be dismantled after coming under siege during the Revolt of 1173-1174. The castle site was refortified during the English Civil War and was later used as a prison. The site was then cleared and the castle mound itself was used for the siting of a windmill. The castle is now a park.