Weeting Castle is a medieval manor house located in Weeting near Brandon in Norfolk. It was built around 1180 by Hugh de Plais, a tenant of William de Warenne, Earl of Surrey, who had his regional caput (administrative centre) at nearby Castle Acre. The de Plais family would occupy Weeting Castle until the 14th Century when it passed to the Howards, Earls of Norfolk. The castle would later be abandoned.
Evidence of earlier occupation on the site has been found, most notably three ditches with finds of Saxo-Norman origin and burnt daub. It is thought a Saxon settlement occupied the site prior to the castle.
Weeting Castle’s design is similar to that of a hall in the outer bailey at Castle Acre Castle and is thought to have been heavily influenced by the design of the building.
The manor house was built of a flint rubble with stone dressing construction. The ruins of the building define a building rectangular in shape. It consisted of a hall, which would have been used to entertain important guests and for holding important events. At the other end of the hall, was a three-story chamber block. On the ground floor of the chamber block was a storage area with a vaulted ceiling, on the first floor was a suite of private chambers with an adjoining latrine block. This block contained three cubicles.
At the other end of the hall was a service block. This contained a buttery and pantry. A passage from the service block lead out onto a courtyard. A freestanding kitchen also fronted onto this courtyard and catered for the manor house’s needs. A wall separated this courtyard from the grounds of the manor house.
The ruins of the manor house sit on an island that is sub-rectangular in shape that is surrounded by a moat that was added in the 13th Century as a decorative feature.
Today, Weeting Castle is managed by English Heritage and is open to the public during reasonable daylight hours.