Burgh Castle just outside of Great Yarmouth in Norfolk is the site of a Roman fort that was later reused as, potentially, a Saxon monastery and then as a motte and bailey castle after the Norman invasion.
Originally built as one of a series of shore forts by the Romans to protect the east and south east of England, Burgh Castle’s walls were built around the year 300 and still stand to virtually to their original height, though some of the wall that did surround the site has now vanished due to erosion on the west side. Bastions were built along the wall and at the corners of the wall to improve its strength.
Between the years 630 and 900 AD it is possible that the site of Burgh Castle could have been used as a Anglo-Saxon monastery. During archaeological excavations in the 1950s and the 1960s, 160 burials and timber buildings were discovered. This monastery has been associated with St Fursey, though it is also possible that the nearby Roman fort at Caister was in fact the site of this monastery.
Following the Norman invasion of 1066 a small wooden castle was built at Burgh Castle making use of the earlier substantial Roman fortifications. In the south-west corner of the fort at Burgh Castle the Normans built a motte upon which a wooden keep or tower would have stood. The Normans also made other alterations to the Roman fort such as cutting a gap into the south wall in order to accommodate a ditch or moat to protect the castle.
There has been some later damage to the motte and fortifications due to modifications in the 18th and 19th Centuries.
Access to Burgh Castle is free during any reasonable hour.