Rampton Castle (also known as Giant’s Hill) in the Cambridgeshire village of Rampton is another Anarchy castle built during the civil war between King Stephen and the Empress Matilda between 1135 and 1154. The castle at Rampton was never completed and is likely to have been abandoned when in 1144 Geoffrey de Mandeville, the Earl of Essex and leader of a rebellion against King Stephen in the East, attacked Burwell Castle, was injured and later died at Mildenhall.
With Geoffrey’s death, there was no longer a need for the castle at Rampton to contain Geoffrey’s rebellion, and thus the site was abandoned. Spoil heaps as earthworks can be seen on the site at Rampton where the castle was never completed.
Rampton Castle consists of a rectangular platform, surrounded by a wet moat that is 50ft wide on the south, east and north sides, on the west side, the moat is 120ft wide. The platform is 150ft long and 135ft wide and is accessed by a causeway at the south west corner of the platform. No stone ruins have been found on the site related to the castle, so it is assumed construction would have been of wood.
The castle is on land owned by Cambridgeshire County Council and is open to the general public all year.